Monday, October 13, 2008

Haunted Houses

Friday I experienced my first haunted house. I discovered that I hate haunted houses.


My aunt convinced me to go by telling me that I didn't have to come. That she would take my 10 and 11 year old siblings by herself and I could just wait outside if it was too scary for me. So all four of us walked into the haunted house called "Deception, what you see is not what you get." It was the only house with no line, which I thought meant that it was not scary. I was also hoping that this haunted house did not have any people to jump out at me because I never know what to do with myself when they're around (Do I do what my instincts say and quickly walk past? Or do what my 14 year old sister does and tell them their mask is probably an improvement on their face?) However neither hope was to become a reality as the man who took our tickets said not to touch the characters and they would not touch us.

I will not go through every minute detail of what happened once we were inside, one, because it would take to long, and two, because I am not particullary eager to relive every jump and scream. Its enough to say that my aunts sweater was stretched to double its width and that my poor little brother was pushed first through the entire affair.

When we came out the other end I felt so...dumb. No brain power is needed for such an activety, in fact I'm pretty sure I turned off a part of my brain in the process.

Why do human beings willingly put themselves in such situations? It goes against every instinct ever known to PAY to go to a place where you KNOW you will be scared and chased.

Although part of not liking it is probably due to the fact that I am a whimp. I don't watch horror movies (I am not very good with gore) and, like I said, this was my first haunted house. Unless, that is, you count the haunted mansion in Disneyland which I actually enjoy because I am safely in my little cart thing where nothing living and breathing is going to jump at me.

So, while I cannot promise I will never go inside another house. (My brother and sister had a blast after all) I can promise that I will do everything in my power to avoid it.

2 comments:

You don't want to know said...

I agree with you one hundred percent. but i do kind if like the adrenaline rush being scared gives you but it is still really scary

╆→xiaoyee↘ said...

I don't know what the American haunted house look like. But I have been to some Chinese ones. Every time before I went into it, I was excited. And in the hauted houses, I was always scared. But when I came out, I became excited again! I don't even know why......