Sunday, August 31, 2008

When I was about nine years old I could recite the whole first movie of the Lord of the rings by heart. I think back now and that seems kind of… scary. Imagine how long it would take to memorize that full-extended version. Did I really ever have that much time?
Anyway I’ve just been thinking about this because I happened to dust it off and watch it (The first half anyway) last night . You know how things you used to love when you were little aren’t as good when you get older? Such as buble gum ice cream, the babysitters club books and the zoo. Well, Lord of the Rings just isn’t one of those things.
I was utterly absorbed, laughing far harder than the jokes deserved, tearing up at the first appearance of Sam, and knowing far more lines than a sane person should. It was like an old friend that had been away for a long while had suddenly turned up for a visit. Only better because there was no awkwardness involved.
I could say far more on lord of the rings, but neither you, nor I have the time or that kind of rant. So I guess I'll just end by saying I watched some of the Lord of the rings and, unlike Pokemon, it was as good as when I first watched it. If not better.

1 comment:

Mr. Dye said...

I really like your style of expression in this post. You should try writing some personal essays.